Search By Name
If you chose the "Search by Name" button, you may make one of the following choices.
- An individual's name
The Circuit Clerk's Office recommends that you use the following guidelines to search:
- Use the last name
- Use only the first three letters of the first name
- Do NOT use birth year
- Do NOT use middle initial
- Names may be spelled many ways
- It is possible that a person's first name may be a diminutive of the
- William can be Bill, Will, Billy, Wills, Billie, etc.
- Margaret can be Marge, Meg, Peggy, Margie, etc.
- It is possible that a person's last name may be spelled differently (for example, Smith can actually be Smyth, Smithe, Smythe, etc.)
- Birth Year - the Circuit Clerk's Office may not have this information
- Middle Initial - the Circuit Clerk's Office may not this information
- A business name
Some businesses may also be listed under an acronym (for example, IBM may also be listed as International Business Machines)
Search By Case Number
If you chose the "Search by Case Number" button, you are asked for the case year, case type, and case number.
- The Circuit Clerk's records are indexed by year, case type, and case number.
- Each year the case number starts over at 1 for each case type.
- Family and Divorce child support records date from 1987.
- Civil proceedings date from 1990.
- Criminal and Traffic proceedings date from November 1993.
- Any information before these dates may not be available except in the Circuit Clerk's Office.
Search By Driver's License
If you chose the "Search by Driver's License Number" button, you are asked for the driver's license number and driver's license state.
- Since a driver's license is NOT required for most filings; this restricts the search results generally to traffic cases.
Search By Ticket Number
If you chose the "Search by Ticket Number" button, you are asked for the ticket number.
- This restricts the search results to traffic cases.
- Only tickets issued in Sangamon County are available for searching.
If you chose the "Court Schedule" button, you may request a listing of cases scheduled for court.
- You may request up to 30 days of court hearings.
- You may select one of the options to refine the search.
- Case Type
- Event (type of court hearing)
- Court Room
- Police Agency